Gardens Synchronicity was founded in 2015, with the goal of fostering a positive team atmosphere within a sport were individualism has always been key. From one team, Gardens has grown to include five competitive and performance teams for kids and adults from beginner through Nationally Competitive.
Gardens Synchronicity Coaching Staff
The Gardens Synchronicity Skating Team organization is led by Kim Eddy Dawe. She is the Synchronized Skating Director and the head coach for our Open Juvenile and Open Adult teams for the 2019-2020 season. Kim has coached figure skating for over 16 years. She has coached both Collegiate and Open Collegiate at the University of Maryland. Along with coaching Novice, Open Juvenile and Pre-Juvenile Teams, here are some of Kim’s coaching accomplishments:
- US Synchronized Skating National Competitor – Collegiate - 2011, 2015, 2016
- US Synchronized Skating National Competitor – Novice 2017
- Eastern Sectional Champions – Open Collegiate - 2010, 2014
- Eastern Sectional Champions – Open Juvenile - 2015
- Eastern Sectional Medalists – Open Collegiate - 2009, 2012, 2013
- Eastern Sectional Medalists – Open Juvenile - 2016, 2017
Kim has passed her Gold Moves in the Field, Intermediate Freestyle and Pre-Bronze Dance Tests. As a former Synchro skater herself, Kim is a 4 time Adult US National Synchronized Champion. She is a 3 time national medalist and a 2 time national competitor at the Junior and Collegiate levels.
In addition to her passion for skating and coaching, Kim has been a high school science teacher for 10 years and lives on the Whitetail Ridge Farm, a 7 acre farm in PA, with her husband Kyle. They welcomed their first child into their family this year! Baby Athena can't wait to take the ice in the years to come. They also have 2 pigs, 5 goats, 50 chickens and two dogs named Teddy and Koda.
When asked the question “Why Synchro?” she answers… “Simply put, Synchro is family.”
Kim is so excited for the 2019-2020 season. “It’s our 5th Season! So excited to see the growth and that we have added a new team to our organization!”
Amy is the Assistant director for the Gardens Synchronicity organization. She is the head coach for the Synchro Skills team, and is the assistant coach for Open Juvenile Pre-Juvenile teams for the 2019-2020 season. Amy is Master Rated by the Professional Skaters Association. She has coached figure skating for 28 years.
Amy has coached students at many levels:
- Through Senior Moves in the Field and Novice Freestyle
- Competitors at the South Atlantic Regional Championships
- Coached Synchro since the founding of Gardens Synchronicity-PJ, OJ
- Coached at Eastern Sectional Synchronized Championships - 2016, 2019
Amy has been married for 25 years and has 4 Kids, one who is a current member of the Gardens Synchronicity Skating Team. She loves going to the lake and boating. Amy can’t wait to see all the returning veterans for the 2019-2020 season, and welcomes new skaters to the team, she can’t wait for you to fall in love with Synchro and join the Gardens Synchronicity family!
We are so pleased to welcome Kate Kreyling as the newest addition to our coaching team. Kate is the head coach for the Pre-Juvenile team for the 2019-2020 season. As a former Synchronized figure skater, Kate was a member of the Haydenettes Synchronized Skating Team, and skated with the University of Delaware’s Collegiate Synchro team. Below is Kate’s competitive history:
- World Synchronized Skating Championships – 4th place - Team USA - 2002
- International Spring Cup Medalist – Team USA - 2002
- US Synchronized Skating National Champion – Senior - 2002
- 3rd Place - US Synchronized Skating Nationals – Collegiate – 2004
- US Synchronized Skating National Competitor – Collegiate - 2005
- Eastern Sectional Champions – Senior - 2002
- Eastern Sectional Champions – Collegiate - 2004, 2005
- Junior and Novice US Synchronized Skating National Competitor – 1999-2001
Kate has passed her Gold Moves in the Field and Intermediate Freestyle tests. She manages the Gardens Synchronicity team website and social media platforms. She also coaches Learn to Skate and private lessons at The Gardens Ice House. Kate lives in Ellicott City with her son, Timmy, who loves to play hockey and their dog Fraggle. When asked “Why Synchro” she says…. “In a sport made up of individuals, there is nothing that can compare to being part of a team!”
Cary is starting her 2nd season coaching Synchronized skating with the Gardens Synchronicity. She will be joining Anna Nykiel as the co-coach for our Open Masters team for the 2019-2020 season. Over the past 16 years, Cary has coached Moves in the Field, Freestyle and Ice Dance, in addition to Group lessons. Cary has accomplished a lot in her skating career:
- Gold Test Moves in the Field
- Gold Test Freestyle
- Gold Test Ice Dance
- Gold Test Senior Solo Free Dance
- 4 International Dances
- 1st figures
- Intermediate solo free dance
- ISI Freestyle level 7
As a former synchronized skater, Cary competed synchro for 1 year with the Metroliners Junior team. She also competed in singles for 8 years, reaching as high as Novice competition level. She works full time as a physical therapist in an outpatient clinic in Millersville. She is married to Jason and they have 4 children, Logan is 11, Danielle is 4, Carmindy is 18 and Morgan is her newest addition, born in early 2020!
Anna is entering her 4th season coaching Synchro for Gardens Synchronicity. She is joining Cary Russell-Canaan as the co-coach of our Open Masters team for the 2019-2020 season. For more than 10 years Anna has coached figure skating in many disciplines.
- Ice Dance
- Moves in the Field
- Beginning Freestyle
- Group Lessons
Anna has accomplished Gold level tests in both Moves in the Field and Dance.
Fun Fact: In addition to her vast Figure skating experience she has an associate’s degree in Dance!
Johanna (Joie) Jan
Johanna is excited to start her 2nd season as a coach on Gardens Synchronicity team. Joie will be leading Strength & Conditioning for all teams for the 2019-2020 season. As a recent competitive figure skater, Joie has competed at the national level:
- US Synchronized Skating National Competitor – Senior- 2017
- US Synchronized Skating National Bronze Medalist – Novice – 2010
- US Skating National Champion – Collegiate – 2013-2016
In addition to her Synchro skating experience, she also skates Freestyle and Ice Dance. She has passed numerous tests over her skating career:
- Gold test in Moves in the Field
- Gold Ice Dance
- Gold Senior Solo Free Dance
- Intermediate Freestyle
- 5 International Dances